Thursday, November 08, 2007

numba crunchin

I love statistics. I love looking at how numbers match up in various parts of the country and reflect our crazy patchwork culture. When I was a reporter for the Birmingham Post-Herald I used to scour the 2000 U.S. Census report for interesting trends and could almost always find something newsworthy. Did you know that Alabama's population increased by 3.4% over the last six years? Or that 26.4% of the businesses in Alabama are owned by women? This stuff is endlessly fascinating. Anyway, I recently found another site that ranks 101 U.S. cities in a similar manner as the census, with hundreds of categories. I'm not sure how relevant it is to know the top 101 cities with the highest average wind speeds, but you never know. You could end up on the Family Feud..