Thursday, April 01, 2004

Slave descendants file $1 billion reparations suit

Here we go again. This seems totally ridiculous to me. What is this going to solve? Our school just hosted a discussion on slavery reparations, with prominent voices from opposing camps represented, and at the end of the day, nobody had an answer. Who is going to get this money? How can anyone focus blame on these corporations for profiting from slave labor, when in actuality an entire culture and economy benefitted from it? And where do the reparations stop once these are allowed? My Irish ancestors were treated brutally by British imperialist forces for years, so where's my check? I hope the judge has the sense to throw this suit out and fine those responsible on grounds of frivolouslessness. I agree that something should be done to atone for our past errors, but this is clearly the wrong way.