Sunday, April 25, 2004

Anyone getting married? Need a minister?

I did this as a joke of course, but apparently I am now an ordained minister. The Universal Life Church in Modesto, California (where else?) offers free online ordination to anyone who wants it. They claim to be a recognized denomination, which makes the ordination legitimate. Now I can:
-- perform marriages
-- perform funerals, baptisms, last rites, or any other legal ceremony except circumcision
--start my own church
--absolve others of their sins

Again, I did this as a joke, but all the same, what exactly confers legal authority to perform a marriage? Can this be real? Obviously my ability to absolve anyone of their sins is a dubious claim at best, but I wonder if this has any legal legitimacy. Seems a little research is in order. The Reverend will have an answer soon.