Monday, March 01, 2004

on trial

Well, I managed not to blow my first interview. At least not completely. I was pretty nervous when I went in, but they planned it so a younger associate, an amiable fellow named Riley, talked with me first and let me know how the interview would go. That helped calm me down a lot. He asked a few of the same questions the main group of attorneys asked me, so I had a chance to try out those answers on him first, as it were. It went OK, I think. They didn't really ask me anything awkward or difficult, like, "What is your greatest personal defect?" or "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" But all the same, sitting at the head of the table, surrounded by 10 top-notch attorneys, all of them looking at your resume with questioning looks on their faces, is quite intimidating. My voice even cracked at one point, which immediately sent me into the depths of embarrassment. But I'm sure I noticed it a lot more than they did. Overall, I guess things went pretty well. I did notice, however, that they didn't, in a fit of passion and exhaltation, hire me on the spot. Maybe more jokes would do the trick.