Thursday, November 21, 2002

Sometimes I love working at the newspaper, I must say. Like today, Robin, the features writer, gave me the new "Blue Wild Angel - Jimi Hendrix Live at the Isle of Wight" DVD, which also came with a CD. It's rocking stuff, especially the "In From the Storm" finale. What's really cool on the DVD is that you can watch the concert through multiple simultaneous camera angles through a picture-in-picture feature. This is great! As a huge fan of sixties music I'm an avowed sucker for new releases like this. Give me a few new features and I'll buy Electric Ladyland all over again. Anyway, over the past months, Robin has given me (or I've scored from her CD stack without her knowing) all sorts of sweet tunes: Gran Torino, Ulu, Parlaiment, Robert Randolph, Sublime, Chambergrass, Old and in the Grey, DJ Dara, and others. It's a shame that the promotional companies don't know that we don't do many CD reviews.. Anyway, I also want to tell everybody to go out and burn/buy Robert Randolph and the Family Band Live at the Wetlands. Soul rock gospel blues at its finest. I've been boogyin' all afternoon. To quote my grandmother, "Nobody dances like they used to. All they do is wiggle around."