Thursday, November 21, 2002

Has anyone been to Burning Man? I want to go. Having been to only one Rainbow Gathering, and a rather tame regional one at that, I'm ready for a large dose of weirdness (no pun there). Where else can you go and find naked blue men riding bicycles shaped like fornicating fish? The cool thing about Burning Man is that everyone participates. Six days of craziness in the desert. I took part in some of the nuttiness at the Rainbow Gathering I went to: the drum circles, a sweatlodge, the council meetings, etc, but I definitely felt like an observer. (Except for that one time when I volunteered to go get some light beams for the soup. I walked out into the forest and wrapped my arms around a beam of sunlight and brought it back to the group kitchen and proceeded to chop it up into the pot of chili. I can't remember what impelled me to do that.. Well that sort of half-ass obligatory participation is not allowed at Burning Man. You have to BE something or DO something. What a gas. What's even more amazing is that it becomes a self-sufficient city in the middle of an arid desert playa. Anyone wanna go?