Wednesday, June 18, 2003

my job

Well after much ado I finally had my interview with MailSouth, which is significant because 1) it's the first real interview for a job I've had for some time and 2) its the first real interview for a job I've had for some time. The job is proofreading ads -- a no brainer, really, but in order to be sure my would-be boss has the "right person" she's got to interview a few more folks over the next two weeks. Which means that she'll be interviewing ex-New York Times magnate Howell Raines for the job on Thursday and I won't get it. Even worse, she admitted the need is not "pressing" for anyone to start work tomorrow, so I'm back to twiddling my thumbs, reading law books and entertaining Scout. And being stunned at how insanely busy I will be in just a few short weeks.

Anyway, during my interview the woman asked me (from her list of prepared questions) what I consider a very odd question: "What sort of person do you not like to work with?" How does one answer that? "Um, anyone I don't get along with..?" It seemed like such a pointlessly subjective question that I decided to give a proper answer, so I responded "Well, I don't like working with loud, obnoxious, boorish prigs." After a moment of silence both of the women began laughing. I did too. And I think we weren't laughing at my response but at how silly the whole moment had become, how absurd. Imagine asking someone who they would like not to hang around with the most..

So tomorrow I am taking my book Law 101 to the river with me. I sailed through dad's copy of Arthur C. Clarke's 2010: Odyssey Two yesterday, so my head is in the clouds (or circling Jupiter, one) and needs some constitutional grounding. In fact, I plan on taking a constitutional. Anyone care to join me?