Tuesday, December 03, 2002

The Jive Server, once again, rocks. I have no brainstorm y, but dis one random memory from mah yout' sprang into mah thinka' yesterday an' left me fallin' out. I tried t' trace da damn trail o' thoughts dat led me t' da damn memory, but I wuz joggin' at da damn time, mah mind scramblin' all ova' da damn place random-like. Anyway, I remembered how in art class in fift' o' sixt' grade we cut potatoes in half an' carved letta's into them likes stencils. It wuz right b4 Christmas, an' da damn brainstorm wuz t' do lots o' aisy, stenciled potato Christmas cards wit' tiny-ass decorashuns all ova' them. Well, dis one kid Alec wuz doin' some card dat wuz supposed t' say N-O-E-fuckin'-L, but becuz he gots confused o' wuz dyslexic, wassups card came out sayin' L-E-O-fuckin'-N. Dis wouldn’t have been funny, 'escept dat we went down t' have some maintenance dude named Leon who worked at our school. While we wuz all fallin' out at Alec at wassups blunda', our learna' piped down an' suggested we give da damn card da damn Leon. We loved it. So's afta' class Alec carried da damn card t' gym class, where we know'd we would find Leon doin' laundry o' sump'n. I will neva' forget Leon’s face – he wuz 24/7 some tru-ly supa' fine guy who enjoyed da damn kids – when Alec went down an' gave him da card. Now dat I think back on it, it wuz shea' tact dat kept Alec from tellin' Leon how da card came about; I rememba' he gave it t' Leon as if we had made it 4 him, an' he loved it. I rememba' him fallin' out so's rock. Alec definite-like made wassups week. Afta' dat, Leon wuz 24/7 particular-like friend-like toward Alec an' da damn group o' us dat wuz present when we gave him da card, callin' out t'us in da hallways o' smilin' at us when he pushed wassups trash kin an' clainin' supplies past our classroom. It’s fun t' think dat afta' he left – we came back from summa' vacashun an' wuz bummed t' find out he had gotten anotha' 9-to-5 – he still had dat card, some reminda' o' how some bunch o' pale kids he would have neva' come into contact wit' otherwise, liked him. I guess I find dat hopeful. I bet he’s still gots da card.