Monday, October 22, 2007

we have fermentation

Well last night I managed to brew my first batch of what will hopefully be beer. I only overboiled the wort once and it wasn't major, but the house now has a sickly-sweet odor permeating everything. Maybe in two weeks the wonderful beer will help me forget the fact that my house smells like a brewery.

Actually, it was a rather easy process, despite my constant fear of contamination. Next time I'm going to clean everything first and make sure it completely dries before starting the boil. I was worried that the fermentor bucket was still damp with cleaning solution when I poured the wort in, which is bad because the soap will kill the yeast. I didn't see any initial fermentation when I went to bed and was sure I had screwed it all up.

It turns out that the beer doesn't start fermenting for 8-24 hours after the yeast is added. Therefore, it was a joyous sight this morning when I looked at my little "bubbler" and saw gas escaping, which means that my little yeasties are working. Steady on, fellas. Should this process interest any of you, I've started a little brewblog at http://www.mcdowellcrook.com/brewjournal/ so I can keep a journal of my brews. If nothing else, you'll be able to learn when the beer is ready so you can drop by unexpectedly.

UPDATE: Speaking of alcohol, I just read that the Guinness Book of World's Records had to remove all entries related to drinking, for obvious reasons. But you can read some of them here.