Saturday, June 04, 2005

Wiki

So I was browsing through the very very cool Wikipedia (which, fyi, is a free open source user-edited online encyclopedia) when I noticed a side link to Wiktionary, which is a sister dictionary project. I haven't used Wiktionary due to the large number of dictionary resources available online, but I noticed something cool in their logo.

See it? The next word is 'Wilco', which was originally a term used during WWII radion speech to mean 'OK' or 'Roger.' But it also refers to the band Wilco, who recently established themselves as advocates of peer-to-peer file sharing and the open source movement. Read this Wired article for a better idea of how they got into that position. I couldn't help but wonder if the inclusion of the word in the logo isn't a tip of the hat to the band. Well, in the absence of any proof, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.