Friday, June 03, 2005

I am now Dr. Phil

I just have to put this out there, wholly without context in true blog-style randomness. Thinking is the act of rearranging prejudices. Let me back up--as it is past midnight, the Quotes of the Day have changed, and I saw this little tidbit:


Well, isn't that true? I mean, isn't being exposed to a new idea simply a process of supplanting one idea with another in the heirarchy of thought? Our 'prejudices' simply consist of the methods with which we value some ideas against others. I guess my reaction is really against the negativity of the quote. I think you could say as well that the act of thinking is the process of rearranging our preferences or our... values.

No joke, for a great read about what it means to be exposed to new ideas versus rearranging your existing and arguably unchanging ideas, read this book.