Friday, January 28, 2005

decidedly rich

I am sufficiently enamored, nay, filled with the gladness of spring, when I read these love letters from the Civil War.
"It is said, that a person's writing is indication of their character, if so, judging from your letter, I take you to be of one that class know as "romps" - a class by the way, which I rather admire. Commend me to a girl who has life and animation enough to enjoy the harmless pleasures of this beautiful world, in preference to your "Miss Prim," who would not dare to laugh in louder tones than a whimpering sentimental snicker, for fear of overstepping the bounds of etiquette.

No indeed! None of your "Miss Prims" for me. I love the gaily ringing laugh of true and gladsome hearts. Of course I would not have a young lady act in an imbecoming or unladylike manner, but I believe in giving free scope to thou joyous feelings, implanted in the soul by a wise and kind "creator" to cheer us through life's checkered pathway looking over the -----. Could you have been within hearing distance when I read you letter, you would have heard a laugh that made this old tent ring, especially when I came to the sentence, "Sing Heigh Ho for a husband" - I just laid back in my chair + roared - thats decidedly rich! I don't suppose that you entertain thoughts of Matrimony. Who ever knows a young lady that did? but if so you have my best wishes that your song may be speedily answered, on condition, that I have an invitation to the wedding."

(via bibliovixen)