Friday, January 02, 2004

alas, sala

The Crook children rang it in in style this year, attending a small party hosted by friends of friends, wherin there was a bonfire and cheer all around. I knew the party was going to be a special occasion when our host, Jeremy, a youth minister at nearby St. James Methodist church, went to light the bonfire. A formidable teepee of old furniture, some logs and a christmas tree had been erected in his spacious backyard, and he proceeded to dump a large quantity of gasoline on the wood. I seem to remember glancing around uneasily as he walked up to the well-doused wood with his lighter, but I could be mistaken. The first log lit immediately, and the fire began spreading around the base. But just as Jeremy took one step back, the fire hit the gasoline and BOOM -- erupted in a ball of flame. Luckily the flames barely touched Jeremy, but the concussion was decidedly impressive enough to make us all jump back in fear of our lives. And then we all fell out laughing. 'Ol Jeremy's lucky he didn't lose his hairdo on that one. After a while we indulged in the usual bottle rocket mayhem, during which most everyone quietly went back inside to the snack table and safety. As no injuries were reported, the evening, I suppose, was a success. Happy New Year indeed. Now Jim and I are heading up to the Smokies with Adam and Nate for a weekend of pastoral delight, after which I am going to continue hiking north on the AT for about 50 miles or so with Scout. Then back to Ohio. If I didn't see you over break, I'll see you next time I'm home, which shouldn't be long, as I've got to fly back in a few weeks for summer internship interviews in Birmingham and Montgomery. Wish me luck, and I'll catch you soon.