Tuesday, November 04, 2003

the pedal v. the metal

Why do people hate bicyclists so much? Is it because we blatantly flaunt our independence from the pollution, death and flab-causing automobile? Or do we just look really dorky wearing those stupid helmets? A few nights ago I was riding my bike home, minding my own business, when this car pulls up beside me and the two guys started cussing at me. What? I ignored them and took my turn, but as I pulled away they yelled something else so, without thinking, I flipped them off over my shoulder. Now New York City this is not, so I should have expected to get a rise out of these goons, and I did. They immediately peeled out and started following me, right on my tail. A minute before I had been a random bicycler, now I was the guy these idiots wanted to beat up. Was it my fancy new mudguard? My all-purpose backpack? I calmly rode home with these guys right behind me, and it wasn't until I pulled into my driveway that they sped off. This is not an isolated incident, either. For years I have had stuff thrown at me, been almost sideswiped and had random things yelled at me, all because I wanted to get some excercise while traveling from point A to point B. I'm used to it now, but articles like this really burn me. Know the feeling?