Monday, April 21, 2003

I am now... employed

Indeed I am now wandering in the land of the wage-earners, the bread-winners, the rent-payers. After registering with four head-hunting agencies, I was finally offered a job with a very large concrete company, helping their European divisions develop a plan to come into accordance with the Kyoto Protocol (this means they pollute). Today was my second day, and did you know that the production of cement (which is different from concrete) releases thousands of pounds of CO2 into the air? The cement itself isn't bad, but the burning of coal to make the stuff is. Now you know. I, too felt empowered upon hearing this. However, the heady physics have subsided for the moment and now I'm making calls to places like the National Association of Homebuilders, the Home Builders Institute, the Association of Builders and Contractors, and (lo and behold) the Concrete Foundation Association of America (!!!) for new and amazing tidbits of knowledge. This is profound stuff here, folks. According to my boss, it was very important that I found how much concrete goes into a typical American home -- 13.97 tons (!!!!) -- and he was really excited and even gave me a high-five. If my name had been on the bulletin board, I would've gotten a gold star, too. I was just glad to know that there's an association for people who lay concrete foundations. I don't know where we would be without one. Onward and upward! (!!!!)