Friday, November 11, 2005

I have been remiss

Wow, I apologize, everybody. It’s been almost a month since I last posted. But it wasn’t my fault, I swear. You see, I was abducted by the Amish and have been living in a small wooden shack in Bellefontaine, Ohio for the past three weeks with no electricity or plumbing. In between my chores, which consisted of milking the cows, feeding the chickens and extracting tree stumps from a ten-acre field with a mule-driven plow, I tried to post to the blog by carrier pigeon. It failed miserably. I was trying to upload some digital photos of my shack but the pigeon apparently didn’t understand where to plug in the USB cable or something. Then I tried writing out a blog entry on parchment with my new quill pen and sending it to Blogger, but nothing ever happened (it must have been intelligible because I was writing at night by oil lamp). Finally, I tried to construct a computer out of maple, square nails, parrafin and twine, but my hard drive would only hold one byte of information and crashed even before I got the thing turned on. Lemme tell you, blogging’s not easy on the commune. And to be honest, I didn’t think folks would be much interested in reading:

“Oct 23, 2005: Today I worked hard, ate some bread and went to sleep on the cot.”
“Oct 24, 2005: Today I worked hard, ate some bread and went to sleep on the cot.”
“Oct 25, 2005: Today I worked hard, ate some bread and went to sleep on the cot.”
“Oct 26, 2005: Today I worked hard, ate some bread and went to sleep on the cot.”

You get the idea. So please accept my apologies and keep in mind that I’m totally blameless here. In fact, in order to post this very message, I had to disguise myself as an Amish girl (luckily no one hits on Amish girls) and go to town for some “shopping,” and while the elders who accompanied me were out back haggling over the price of a cord of wood, I bolted. After a couple of hitch-hike rides from some very confused drivers, I made it back into Ada just before the computer lab closed. Well, actually it was closed and I had to break into the building and almost got arrested, but whatever. The point is, I’m back and you should be happy. Actually you probably owe me some money. I take personal checks and cash only—no credit cards, please.

Oh, and the other reason I haven’t posted for almost a month is that nothing of interest has occurred on the internet or in the real world. None, nada, zippo. Not one event of any communicable interest has happened anywhere. You didn’t miss anything. These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.

Finally, on a slightly more realistic note, I’m happy to announce the creation of a new website I created for Mary Pat and I: www.marypatandmcdowellswedding.com. As you can see from the title, it’s got everything you need to know about our upcoming nuptials. Please do stop in and say howdy.

Sooo I’m back and happy and it is a new day, full of light. I’m so glad you could make it.