Monday, August 01, 2005

more motorcycling

This is a fascinating collection of photographs of Chernobyl, 20 years after the meltdown. Our host is Elena, a young motorcyle-riding Russian woman with enough curiosity and guts to witness first-hand the devastation of the Chernobyl "dead zone." She apparently knows a bit about radiation, and explains exactly how much she is being exposed to as she cruises the blasted countryside..
"My name is Elena. I run this website and I don't have anything to sell. What I do have is my motorbike and the absolute freedom to ride it wherever curiosity and the speed demon take me . . . I travel a lot and one of my favorite destinations leads North from Kiev, towards so called Chernobyl "dead zone", which is 130kms from my home. Why my favorite? Because one can take long rides there on empty roads. The people there all left and nature is blooming. There are beautiful woods and lakes. In places where roads have not been travelled by trucks or army vehicles, they are in the same condition they were 20 years ago - except for an occasional blade of grass or some tree that discovered a crack to spring through. Time does not ruin roads, so they may stay this way until they can be opened to normal traffic again........ a few centuries from now."