Monday, July 11, 2005

Two gigs and a hardrive to go, please

Well, call me a geek (you're a geek!), but I love me some USB drive action. This little feller is one of the handiest things I've used in years, other than, well, the computer itself. Which is funny because the USB drive may soon replace the traditional computer. What am I talking about? I'm talking about lightweight programs that fit on your USB drive and can be taken with you from computer to computer. Right now I've got 22 separate programs on my USB drive, which combined offer all the functions I'll ever use: image editor, email client, browser, word processor, antivirus, you name it. And together they only take up 20MB of space. Now I realize that this is virtually useless for people who only use one computer, but if you use another at work or on the road, there you go. Save space on your hard drive and run the programs off of your USB drive. It is not hard to imagine this sort of trend affecting the CPU market, either. One day you may be able to buy just a monitor, plug your USB drive into it and have access to any program you want, no bulky and expensive hard drive needed. If you're interested, go here and here for a multitude of sites that host free lightweight programs you can use.