Thursday, February 10, 2005

it's moot

arlingtonThis weekend I headed on over to D.C. for the Burton D. Wechsler First Amendment Moot Court Competition at the American University College of Law. My co-counsel, Matt Skeens, and our coach, Ebony Huddleston, and I had a pretty good time--even though we didn't win. The competition was tough. We rolled into town on Thursday, two days before the arguments, and set up shop at The Jefferson Hotel on 16th and M. Nice digs, I must say. On Friday we sightsaw, and then on Saturday we argued. And Sunday we rested. Actually we did quite a bit of sightseeing, including a great trip over to Arlington to see the changing of the guard. Let me once again say that I love Washington. I love the Mall, the museums, the Capitol; the whole American gestalt surrounding everything. I can't help but get this big squishy sentiment for democracy, and all that it represents, every time. Call me patriotic. I'd never seen the changing of the guard before either, and I ate it up. Washington is very effective at conveying the idea of America quite apart from the reality, which is the essence of patriotism. I don't really wrap myself in the flag very often, but I still love Washington and everything it stands for. At any rate, it was certainly the appropriate place to be, seeing as Matt and I were arguing a hot First Amendment issue. Click on the picture at left to see the photos.

Once again, thanks Erin for being such a good emissary and restauranteur! We had a blast.