Monday, August 25, 2003

Thus it begins

I just got out of my first two law classes, Criminal Procedure and Property, and my wits are still about me. A law class ain't no picnic. Unfortunately the bookstore sold out of all the Criminal Procedure textbooks yesterday, so I had to attend the dreaded first day not having read the assignment. Luckily I wasn't called on, but the nature of the discussion was hypothetical anyway; the professor basically strarts with the facts in the case and then expands into any possible scenario. It is a tense environment, but fascinating. It just takes getting used to the intellectual play on the subject. Property I was ready for, but we were discussing a case of Native American land rights and the class veered off into the ethics of imperialism, discovery and conquest. I'm not really sure what I was supposed to get out of the discussion, frankly. I imagine this feeing will persist for some time.

Anyway, I'm all moved in and settled and have made a few friends, most of who are from Ohio. This town is really so small that you cannot avoid getting to know a lot of people - my banker is my landlord's wife, for example - but that's really what makes the town (village, actually) nice. I've heard a bit of grumbling from some of the students who hail from Chicago and Boston, but most seem to like the place. Scout, by the way, loves it. She has free reign in the neighborhood and the many children on the street love her.